Thursday, June 9, 2011

Law, ozone, triggering ice and music

In high school I was in mathematic-science class and somehow I don't know many people among law students or lawyers. I always thought law is tough, but it is much worse than I thought! How the hell the peole can remember (and reproduce) sentences with structure where the relationships among strange words are purely arteficial (I know they always are, but when you don't have anything to imagine beyond these words it is double-arteficial)? My brain was probably washed for so long with medical logic and now I really have problems with memorizing words that don't say much to me. Huh. At least I get to know brand new unit in all these hygienic and goverment and ecologic regulations (I love units in case you didn't know. There are some not so popular like grams, kilograms, tons...and I never fully get the radioactivity units, but in general I am unit-freak.). The new one is Dobson Unit (DU), unit of measurement of atmospheric ozone columnar density.

Speaking about units... friend of M. is usually sending me a school stuff for M. Scanned notes and homework and to-do lists. M. can skype with him and with his teacher, I just print it and bring it to the hospital every week. This week this friend (let's call him V.) wrote me, that he is not sure about some exercises in physics and I should check it. I was bit confused, until I opened the file: Thermodynamics: how many -20°C ice cubes (each is 50 g) a person need to swallow to lose 5 kilograms of fat? During burning 1 g of fat a heat of 38 kJ is set free. And I still don't have any idea if this really is triggering or not. It is physics. I've studied so mcuh about human body and of course there were all types of bodies and weight changes and diets and calculating meals for patients, but it didn't trigger me very much. I asked the infamous therapist and he told me it is absolutely ok to give him the exercise and that he needs to deal with it and he would be probably furious if he realised we are trying to "protect" him like this. What do you think?

I've finaly put together some CD for M yesterday. Music was always a big part of our life and I believe in its magic. I can't sing, but listening to music makes me happy. I've seen patients who didn't remember their daughter's names or thought it was war or were basically mute after a stroke or strongly mentally disabled children who still could reproduce a familiar rythmus or a song with hand clapping-- and what's better- you could see the joy in their eyes. Like real joy. So I want to believe music and rhytm is somewhere beyound/under disease, pain and suffering and it can bring us into some another level of perception. I am RANTING again! Instead I want to share couple of links. I think everyone has their own music which tells their own story, but I love being given advices in music, because I don't actively searching for it and I basically listen to very similar things for couple of years. So here are some of my favourites I put on the CD (I was trying to make a optimistic collection):

Chapelier Fou: Les Métamorphoses Du Vide (I have no idea whether this Mad Hatter- it's what it says in French- is sipping mercury in his tea, but whatever he drinnks, it works! LOVE it.)
Julia Kent: Dorval (cello!)
Patrick Wolf: Time of My Life (everyone likes Patrick Wolf)
Fanfarlo: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (I put it there, because we've seen Fanfarlo with C, AK and M almost exactly one year ago in Berlin; this one is cover of Neutral Milk Hotel song about Anne Frank)
Andrew Bird: Tables and Chairs (and yes, there will be snacks)
Gustav Holst: Jupiter (...)
Bratři Orffové: Nevypínám (it is in czech and it is about turning our brain down; you can try to translate it A.:)

2 comments:

  1. neboj. a nebud nastvana ze jsem se sem vlamal.
    *swallowing 7200 ice cubes = 360 kg of ice*
    cool dieta.
    a i kdyz je to pekne divny, cist si o sobe: diky za vsechno, fakt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. hab so ein Gefühl, dass Mat ist mit den Eiswürfeln ziemlich schnell fertig geworden ist ;-)

    ReplyDelete