Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My room in pictures

Hi there! Apparently I have too much time on my hands/ in my amygdalas = too much space for anxiety about future and bit of ED thoughts. But I am trying my hardest to do some useful and less useful things in order to stay away from danger zone. It was raining all day and I hate being all day at home I need to apply for a job. I am not sure about PhD opportunity I was given. Anxiety rising. So between writing some application letters (and 2 anxiolytic ice-cold showers), I decided I will make some pictures and "show" you my room. I like reading this kind of bit intimate posts about someones's rooms or wardrobes or bags, because I think it tells a lot about the person and his/her story and mentality. Or maybe it doesn't. (I hope I am generally not too judgemental, but yep, I am sometimes judging labmates/doctors by what they have or doesn't have on their desk and how entropic it looks.) And sorry for the quality of photos, I love taking pictures, but I am not very good at it... It is also bit sentimental for me, because so much has happened here and I will probably leave it soon and because M. won't probably be able to go back to boarding school in the fall and he will do his IB in Prague, he'll live in "my" room. So here we are:

 My wardrobe. "She"'s been through several sizes...
 2 glass beads necklaces from my grandaunt I don't wear, but like them and familiar window view.
My non-existent lamp. I got the wings from my classmates couple of years ago. And James Dean, Rebel Without a Cause. Some days I wish I could hide in some big sweatshirt like he's been doing since my teens.
 

Even though I am not reaching 1/10 of my dad's book-hoarding talent, I am getting closer every year...

 More (school) books (ant these are just the ones I want to keep... and my bed.
 Desk. One of my favourite places (well not in exam times, but still- I love it).
I am not much into jewellery, but I am quite a fan of earrings:)

That was it. Do you have some indicator like desks or shoes or nails or bags or anything else to "standardize" people? And don't worry- I often change my mind later, don't care about the messy desk and like the people with everything they are.

4 comments:

  1. You obviously forgot to mention you judge people by their music taste :-P

    My list is long - so some randoms: handshaking, too much jewellery (eeks), grammatic (!), content of bookshelves (:-)), attitude to plants and animals, cat or dog person (I'm sorry;-)), table manners...

    Good luck with your applications! (The main reason I am doing my PhD is unability to apply for an extrauniveristy job... it is a joke... or maybe it isn't:-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room looks really nice! I love the exposed beam on the ceiling and the cute elephant on the windowsill. I have to confess that my desk is a bit of a disaster zone- it's basically just a pile of papers, pens and post-it notes (and some weirder stuff, like a floatable 'bath xylophone'- don't ask) with a computer moniter sticking out in the middle.
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling anxious. From what I've heard, PhD applications are hard work. Good luck, and I hope you find one that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne- I don't care about music taste, I just don't like when someone has no opinion on music (and other important things in life). And you are doing your PhD, because you are the smartest and Ants rule the World! :)

    Briony- thank you!:) in last days before exam my desk usually looks like 4 wooden legs burried under a mountain of papers as well. But generally for me it is clean desk = better concentration. However I don't know what a 'bath xylophone' would have done with my mind, maybe it's stimulating:)

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad blogger commenter here-catching up. I loved these photos of your room! The wood pieces are really beautiful and your desk is cute.

    I like seeing photos like this. I agree with you, it gives a more intimate feel to the person. I don't necessarily judge, but I tend to like at least somewhat organized rooms. I remember I knew people when I was younger who just had clothes piled on every inch of the floor. I could not understand how they could stand this. Luckily, I think these people have outgrown this now.

    ReplyDelete